Some #NineWorlds Gaming Sessions – Amazing Line ups!
We’ve been working with the great people at NineWorlds and The Wellcome Trust to program in some interesting strands for the upcoming NineWorlds Geekfest…
10th August – 5pm – Cyberpunk – The Dystopian Prism/Prison. Panel Discussion.
Technology is advancing at a huge rate and with it are the moral and social questions it brings. Is Cyberpunk culture’s immune response to this advancement, engulfing the issues within stories, films and games to flag these issues in advance or has it become a self-fulfilling prophecy with the inevitable end where we’ll be reading a DRM-locked copy Neuromancer in Google Glass as the irony passes us by. Join us and some of the top creators in this field to talk, cyber, punk, tech, specs and crashes together.
- Cory Doctorow – Co-editor of Boing Boing and author of novels such as Pirate Cinema and Makers.
- Charles Stross – Author of Halting State series and many more.
- Kieron Gillen – Comic author on titles such as Uncanny X-Men and more.
- Jan Wagner – Cliffhanger Productions, developers of Jagged Alliance and Shadowrun Online
- Rafal Praszczalek (Writer) and Antoni Strzalkowski (Producer) on CD Projekt Red’s Cyberpunk 2077
- Dr. Demis Hassabis, former games developer (Syndicate, Republic: The Revolution) and now neuroscientist (and Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellow)
Moderated by Helen Keen
Panel supported by The Wellcome Trust.
And there is more!!
10th August – 3.15pm: The Infected – Diseases of the Cultural Body. Panel Discussion.
Disease scars us. Retro-viral infections write their existence into our DNA just as The Black Death has written its history into our nursery rhymes. The concept of our species being dragged to the precipice of existence – or indeed pulled over it – by disease is a common meme found in games, films and novels. But why this fascination in our own extinction at the hands of organisms we can see with the naked eye? Join some of the best creators playing with our demise to talk about why we’re all infected with the idea of infections.
- James Vaughan – Creator of the mega-hit Plague Inc game on iOS and Android.
- Will Porter- Writer on indie hit PC game, Project Zomboid.
- Dr Julia Gog – Lecturer at the University of Cambridge and researcher into the mathematics of infectious disease.
- Dr Stéphane Hué – UCL expert in how viruses spreads and so evolve.
Moderated by Paul-Michael Agapow. Panel supported by The Wellcome Trust.
And then there is this..
10th August – 1.30pm Crowfunding the Future – Get the crowd to fund your vision.
Do you have an amazing idea for a game, novel, film or comic? Crowd funding has become a huge phenomena in recent years as creators by-pass the traditional gamekeepers of funding such as publishers, and ask the audience directly to support their vision. From hardware projects like Oyua and Occulus Rift to cultural explorations such as Video Game Tropes vs Women; this new way on access support is no guaranteed nor easy route to funding. Join a select few who have make this platform work for them to find out more about what works – and what does not.
- Jan Wagner – Cliffhanger Productions who raised $500,000 for Shadowrun Online
- Alex Harvey – Currently running a Kickstater for Tangiers, the surrealist stealth game.
Moderated by Tomas Rawlings. Panel Supported by The Wellcome Trust
Now watch this and get excited by Cyberpunk 2077
Because some of the devs are going to be there too!
Cyberpunk 2077 – Night City Lives, Live! 11th August – 11.30am-12.30pm
The trailer from CD Projekt Red’s Cyberpunk 2077 has created huge anticipation for this new titled based on the classic RPG by the developers who’ve also spawned the much admired The Witcher series. In this session game designer Tomas Rawlings will be quizzing Rafal Praszczalek (Writer) and Antoni Strzalkowski (Producer) from Cyberpunk 2077 on how the game is going, their artistic vision for the title and what gamers can look forward too from their unique take on a dystopian vision of the future.
- Antoni Strzalkowski – Producer, Cyberpunk 2077
- Rafal Praszczalek – Writer, Cyberpunk 2077
Moderated by Tomas Rawlings
Panel supported by The Wellcome Trust.